The Benjamin W. Murch Elementary School project involved a complex renovation of an existing 1920’s building combined with a new, complementary, addition. The modernization and addition created a 21st century learning environment, providing an abundance of flexible spaces for learning both inside and outside the classroom.
The original school building was integrated with the 60,000 SF addition by the creation of a central spine, joining old and new in both massing and internal circulation. The two buildings connect at the “Nexus” — an open collaborative environment, which offers views of the entry and cupola on the Second Level. The spine ties the individual learning pods together creating a visually coherent addition.
Adding to the usual challenges of any project on a tight urban site, this one also involved coordination with the National Parks Service (NPS) as some of the site was on NPS land designated for recreational outdoor purposes only.
Murch Elementary is LEED Gold Certified
Architect of Record: R. McGhee Associates