HCM provided feasibility study, programming and design services for the $9.4 million renovation and addition to Beeghly Library. HCM is transforming the outdated library into a 21st Century learning commons, an active and vibrant learning-centered destination with accommodating space for independent and collaborative study, multi-media production, offices and support space, program centers, and a café.
The study includes the following components:
- Identify and incorporate the College’s programmatic needs into a cohesive project vision.
- Analysis of existing conditions.
- Develop conceptual design plans that embody the project’s vision.
- Develop preliminary project budget and schedule.
- Presentation material for promoting the project on campus and to potential donors.
The process began with multiple visioning exercises that established the project goals for the study. In close coordination with the college and a clear understanding of the college’s goals, HCM continued by working with college leadership and stakeholders to develop the project’s preliminary programming, space needs, and adjacencies. HCM analyzed the existing building conditions and latest strategic and campus master plans to assure that the design was compatible to the future vision of the college.
The proposed design for the newly re-envisioned and named Statton Learning Commons imagines a more welcoming learning centered building. The transformation of the interior spaces, the new eastern façade/addition, and the new entry off Moore Street clearly mark a new beginning for the library.