This project involved the renovation of the current Englewood Middle School into a new home for Colorado’s Finest High School of Choice. Construction was funded in part by a grant from the BEST program. The focus of the renovation is to provide a 21st Century Learning Environment with non-traditional spaces. The new layout is organized by department and each area includes a Technology Hub, Teacher Resource Room and Conference Room. There are no doors into the general classrooms and the walls between the classrooms and hallways have windows to connect the spaces. There is also a focus on Career Technical Education (CTE) with several specialized spaces for Cosmetology, STEM, Media Production and other CTE classes. New Science and Art classrooms were also added. Fitting Colorado’s Finest’s program into an existing building was a big challenge. HCM worked closely with the administration and staff of CFAHS to determine how to most efficiently and effectively utilize existing spaces and create new ones. New garage-style doors were added facing the existing courtyard, providing an indoor-outdoor connection.
- Open classrooms and technology spaces.
- Building façade and walls were utilized to promote the school’s educational philosophy.
- Sustainable Goals:
- Energy efficient mechanical system with heat pumps and energy recovery ventilation
- Energy efficient lighting and controls
- Indoor Air Quality focus with ventilation and material selection
- Reuse of an existing building and site
- Budget: $12.2 million
Certified LEED Schools 2009 – Silver